November 3, 2009

Gratituesday: Books


I thought I would join in on Heavenly Homemaker's Gratituesday Challenge and share something I am grateful for today. I am thankful for books. I enjoy reading and if I didn't have other things to do would spend a good portion of the day doing just that! I love fiction (Christian mostly) and non-fiction. Cookbooks, organizing books, homemaking books, homeschooling books, craft books... you name it, I love them.

Just last night I finished The Shack by William Young. It's a tear jerker to be sure! While I take my nightly walk I listen to an audio book. I am almost done with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. A great treat... why did I wait so long to give it a try?!

Of course, the one book that is always on my bedside table is my Bible. While I read plenty of books, the Bible is the one book that I will never "finish". And for that I am grateful! I always hate it when a good book ends!

Sometimes I just read for entertainment. Sometimes I read to learn something. Sometimes a book really changes the way I think about something. The following are some of the books I have read in the past few years that have really challenged me. I used to view the world quite a bit differently than I do now, thanks in part to these books.

  • Money: The Two-Income Trap: why middle-class mothers and fathers are going broke by Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi AND The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn
  • Cleaning: Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley
  • Coupons: Greatest Secrets of the Coupon Mom by Stephanie Nelson
  • Feminism: The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality by Mary Pride
  • Contraception: A Full Quiver: Family Planning and the Lordship of Christ by Rick and Jan Hess
  • Children: Children: Blessing or Burden by Max Heine
  • Assisted Reproduction: Everything Conceivable: How Assisted Reproduction is Changing Our World by Liza Mundy
  • School: Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto
  • Our Government: Every Knee Shall Bow: The Truth and Tragedy of Ruby Ridge and the Randy Weaver Family by Jess Walter
  • Conservatism: Crunchy Cons: The New Conservative Counterculture and Its Return to Roots by Rod Dreher
  • Food: More-With-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre
  • Islam: America Alone: The End of the World as We Know It by Mark Steyn
  • Self Sufficiency: The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery
  • Just About Everything: The Bible
Want to read more Gratituesdays? Head over to Heavenly Homemakers.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelly!

    Congratulations! You won the Print Master program! Please send me an e-mail at thehomespunheart (at) hotmail (dot) com with your mailing info so I can get it to you!

    Have a great day!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!