August 29, 2009

How the Garden Grows: Come on Tomatoes

The garden has been giving us plenty green foods......jalapeños, green beans, broccoli, kohlrabi, and cucumbers. We have lots of tomatoes but they are all still green too. I need some red veggies!

I keep sticking cucumber in everything and I still have a ton. Everyone keeps asking me: "Is there cucumber in this?". Seriously, we're going to have to start giving them away. Last week I made Cucumber Tuna Boats and they were very good. The actual tuna salad part was delicious and best of all it used several cucumbers! Unfortunately, the type of cucumber we planted isn't really good for making pickles. But I might just give it a try anyway.

With our abundance of jalapeños I made easy jalapeño "poppers". They were delicious! I sliced and froze several batches for future batches of salsa. I also made one jar of pickled jalapeños (with carrots and onions). I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out so I decided to just toss them in the fridge instead of actually canning them. Jerry said they were really good so next year I'll have to make several batches and actually process them. I'm sure my dad would appreciate a jar! Just call me Peter Piper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!